However, it is a common sight to reach a weight loss plateau, where the number doesn’t budge on the scale. Before you succumb to negative self-talk or abandoning your weight loss plan, it is important to expect yourself hitting a plateau at some point. Many can become frustrated when they experience this stage, but remember why you started and do not regain all of the lost weight by forgoing your healthy lifestyle changes. Several influencing factors that should be considered include behavioral, hormonal, and environmental conditions as well.
A study conducted in 2014 published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, observed that those who adhered to their diet can expect a weight-loss plateau about 6 months into their weight loss journey. When a person hits their weight loss plateau, generally it means that they will no longer lose any more weight, despite following a diet and fitness regimen to a tee.
Some reasons for such occurrence include:
- The body adapts to your weight loss regime, burns lesser calories during each workout and defends itself against the additional weight loss
- You stopped following your diet after a few months
- Your body metabolism slows down as you lose weight in a short period of time
1. Fuel up your diet with more proteinAs we lose weight, our brain and body send triggers to make you hungry which causes you to eat or store more energy that’s derived from food. Add a bit more protein to your diet (such as an extra portion of lean meat) to feel fuller, faster and longer. A research published in Obesity showed that patients given either a placebo or a weight-loss triggering drug ate an additional 100 more calories/day for every two pounds they lost. This indicated that losing weight causes people to be hungrier and the desire to consume more in compensation.
2. Increase your exercise frequency or intensityOne may observe that their fitness level gradually improves over time after they started dieting and exercising. This is because your body will be conditioned to these changes and allows them to progress to higher levels of activity. The Ministry of Health (Health Hub) recommended 150 minutes of physical activity a week is all you need to reduce the risk of chronic diseases, prolong life and enhance your quality of life. To follow through a weight loss journey, some adjustments are needed to their workouts’ intensity in order to see visible results.
3. Beauty sleepHave you been sleeping enough? If not, you might want to rethink your sleeping habits! A research conducted by International Journal of Obesity found that individuals who slept less than 6 hours daily had smaller changes in waist circumference compared to people who slept for 7 to 9 hours. This shows that people who have an adequate number of sleeping hours have better weight loss outcomes. Hence, having better sleep quality and duration may allow you to break through a weight loss plateau.
4. “Healthy” foodsThink you are eating healthy just because you are consuming these “healthy” foods? Think again. Honey, nuts, granola, trail mix, full-fat milk or yoghurt; these health foods may trip your weight loss efforts if you eat too much of them as they are rich in calories. And since they are considered to be healthy, many people will tend to not control their intake. When hitting a plateau, revise and monitor your diet while moderating the intake of these healthy foods during consumption. Doing such will definitely help to rev up your weight loss again.
5. Cut the carbsA review comprising 13 studies lasting at least for a year showed that individuals who consumed 50g or lesser carbs daily lost more weight than those who follow traditional weight loss diets. When your weight stalled in your weight loss journey, reducing your carb intake may help to get your weight moving in the right direction again. As you adopt a lesser carb diet, it aids in reducing your hunger pangs, and promotes long-term weight loss effectively.
6. Discover a new youTried everything and your weight just will not budge anymore? Try introducing some weight loss program that can help reinvigorate and energize you + your body to persevere. With advanced technologies, slimming programs help you to achieve your desired inch-losses and weight loss goals effectively and safely. Some programs that you should consider:
- *NEW* Fat Freeze (60 minutes at $500/session)
- *NEW* TBFSculpt (25 minutes at $299/session)
- I-LIPO (25 minutes at $299/session)
A highly effective fat reduction and body shaping system, I-Lipo is an excellent option for those looking to achieve a slimmer and tighter body shape*. No pain, no needles, no downtime.
- Venus Body Fat (30 minutes at $500/session)
Promises immediate results in just one session. Uses Multi-Polar Radio Frequency and Pulsed Electro Magnetic Fields that heat up and shrink fat cells hidden deep below skin’s surface, while accelerating collagen production, reducing body circumference that results in a firmer and slimmer-looking body.
Widely known as cryolipolysis, this treatment uses a 360-degree handpiece to target stubborn fat cells at multiple body areas. Uses advanced controlled cooling technology to break down fats by 20% to 25%.
Touted as the only FDA approved procedure that builds muscle and burns fats simultaneously, TBFSculpt uses a non-invasive technology, HI-EMT (High Energy Focused Electromagnetic Wave) energy to expand and contract muscles which improve the tone and strength of your muscles as well as burn fat effectively.
Weight loss plateaus are frustrating and demoralizing. But we are always here for you. Need a little more help? Contact our friendly team at email@example.com or call 6838 0331 for one-to-one advice!